Welterweight contender Vergil Ortiz Jr. will tackle Michael McKinson of the U.Okay. on Saturday in Forth Price, Texas, Ortiz’s house state.
VERGIL ORTIZ JR. (18-0, 18 KOS) VS. MICHAEL MCKINSON (22-0, 2 KOS)
- Date: Saturday, Aug. 6
- Time: 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT (predominant occasion later in present)
- The place: Dickies Enviornment, Fort Price, Texas
- TV/Stream: DAZN
- Value: DAZN is $19.99 per thirty days or $149.99 per yr
- Division: Welterweight (147 kilos)
- Rounds: 12
- At stake: No main titles
- Pound-for-pound rating: None
- Odds: Ortiz 10-1 favourite (common of a number of retailers)
- Additionally on the cardboard: Marlen Esparza vs. Eva Guzman, flyweights (for Esparza’s WBA and WBC titles); Maurice Hooker vs. Blair Cobbs, welterweights; Bektemir Melikuziev vs. Sladan Janjanin, tremendous middleweights; Alex Martin vs. Henry Lundy, junior welterweights
- Prediction: Ortiz KO 10
- Background: The Ortiz-McKinson battle was scheduled to happen in March however was postponed after Ortiz pulled out due to sickness. The 24-year-old slugger from Dallas is now wholesome and able to resume his pursuit of a shot at a 147-pound title. He has stopped all 18 of his opponents, the newest being succesful Egidijus Kavaliauskas in eight rounds in August of final yr. No fighter has gone previous eight rounds with Ortiz, who’s ranked within the High 3 by all 4 main sanctioning our bodies, No. 1 by the WBA and WBO. He hopes that standing will result in a title battle sooner reasonably than later. McKinson is unbeaten however has confronted nobody with potential similar to Ortiz. The 28-year-old Englishman is an effective, skilled boxer however, with two stoppages in 22 fights, he has one of many lowest knockout percentages within the sport. He’s coming off a one-sided determination over Alex Martin this previous March in Los Angeles, his first battle outdoors Europe.